Thread: 50: Transmen
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Enunciated Piffle
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Get Real, Man

"Gender is far more fluid than we thought" - Lauren

Agreed.

Really enjoyed Chemda's questions, but was confused and annoyed when Kit Yan refused to answer her, "So you were born a woman?" This completely halted the interview for me. Running around with an iPod. Listening to this on audio, I'm completely lost. I don't have a physical picture of Kit and her description/ picture is beyond vague.

All I hear from Kit is "I'm a man. Refer to me as such. This is the end of it."

I'm completely fine with gender identity and think in the future it will be less taboo and eventually normalized. As a straight male, however, I do not see the cause being furthered by avoiding the discussion. I realize it pains the person, but either you're going to discuss it, (if your intention is to educate and help others understand) or you're going to do what Kit does. Be PC and simply hope for the best.

I did like Chemda discussing her own sexuality because her's is a perfect example of 'fluid sexuality.'

Look, we don't need to dissect sexuality with words to have sex, (whatever our preference) but we sure as hell need every word possible if we're going to describe it to those who are completely in the dark. I'm glad there are men like Lauren who can approach the trans topic with humor, honesty, and heart. Anything less is convoluted.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote