View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
KzooKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
bear and i talk about this sometimes, he produces music, about how the ease with which we can skip and buy single tracks is ruining 'the album.'

believe it or not, kzoo, albums are cohesive pieces of art. where you put a particular song among the whole is how the story gets told. back in ye olde vinyl days, you started the record and let it run; you fully participated in the journey the artist created. nowadays you can cherry pick your tracks with no regard to whether or not the previous track set something inside track 4 leading into track 5 that may've blown your dick off if you'd given half a chance to absorb the whole. some tracks that aren't necessarily hits or the best still go towards building a mood. sometimes track 5 is there to prepare you or ease you into track 6. or introduce/continue a theme. who the fuck wants to buy an interlude on its own?

anyway, can't say that you're wrong per se, i don't know 'bout corporate studios, but i do know track placement is a big deal on the creative end with regard to storytelling and how they've chosen to affect you with their music. i think in the mainstream we're slowing losing out on the experience.
I'm trying to help the younger kids understand. I'm in my 30's. I remember listening to the entire 8-track/record/cassette tape from one end to the other. Some songs even started right after others ended.

We could dive deeper into people not listening to music well. iPods and MP3 have ruined the sound experience. Earbuds can't capture what a good set of speakers can. But I don't want to turn this into a music theory class.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote