View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014, 05:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
littlp
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

The beginning of the episode

I just wanted to chime in about older adults. It is my job to work with older adults with mental illness ranging from depression to schizophrenia with an interest in dual diagnosis of mental illness plus substance abuse. It really is a travesty as to how we treat the older generation. Hell, even Congress treats the older generation like crap with how they handle social security and Medicare, things that are entitlements that many people put their money into only to get treated like ungrateful jerks when they demand what they put their money into.

I like working with older folks because I do believe we can learn from them. I do think that you can respect older folks whose opinions might be racist, homophobic etc without agreeing with them. It is important to be able to critically think about what we hear, which is important in daily life.

Some of my folks are in their 70s, one individual is African American, diagnosed with schizophrenia and mental retardation, remembers getting yelled at and BEAT for talking to a white woman, but is one of the HAPPIEST and KINDEST people I know. Yes there will be the old crotchedy folks who have caused all of these stereotypes to exist, but there are assholes across all ages.

I've rambled enough...

Adding the best quote that explains aging in America that Lauren said:

"You are not allowed to get old anymore."

Such a true statement and sums up the issue pretty well.

Last edited by littlp; 01-22-2014 at 06:12 PM. Reason: adding further rambling
(Offline)   Reply With Quote