Thread: 1920: Li(v)e
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014, 08:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
bw81
Administrator
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

The entire Superbowl is one great big ad. The broadcast I watched was 4 hours long and I had to hit skip countless times to get passed all the ads (we weren't treated to the US ads here in Australia). The game only goes for an hour, right? They won't put on a marching band or something else because the spectacle isn't as great and the money they can earn from having Bruno Mars would far outweigh any other type of act that could be on stage and off again in such a quick changeover. They get the bands on to attract the people who wouldn't normally watch the Superbowl - that's it. They get their viewers, they are happy.

I agree that they shouldn't be trying to give off the impression that the band is playing live when they aren't. If I can tell that they aren't playing, why would I want to go pay money to see them in concert - is that what they are going to do there too?

It's a great opportunity for the artists to be in front of that many people, sure, but at what cost to their integrity as a live band if they can't showcase what it is they are trying to advertise?

What a conundrum.