View Single Post
Old 07-10-2014, 11:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
MichaelApproved
Administrator
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bithead View Post
The poll is a trick.

The word "chemical" is generally used to describe a man-made substance, but that's technically incorrect. (Kind of like saying a tissue is a Kleenex.) Everything is a chemical, including so-called "natural" or organic ingredients. Pure water is a chemical compound: H20

Our food supply definitely contains man-made substances.
But man-made VS. natural VS. processed are also meaningless descriptions. Each of those categories can have unhealthy and even poisonous foods. That's why I'm so frustrated when I hear those words to describe things. It's a meaningless description.

It's like saying corporations are evil. Guess what? Keith and The Girl, LLC is a corporation. That local mom & pop coffee shop? They're a corporation too. Pretty much all professional organizations are incorporated.

I think I know what people are trying to say when they use the words processed and corporations but I believe that conversations barely scratch the surface when only those words are used.

If you want to talk about food that's bad, don't say "it has chemicals", talk about which chemicals it has in it. For instance, is "trans fat" what you're concerned about? Does it have too much sugar? Which kind of sugar?

If you want to talk about corporations that are evil, talk about what they do that is evil. Are they promoting legislation that violates human rights? Do they break the law in some way? Are they doing something extremely unethical that should be banned with new laws?

Explain yo self.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote