View Single Post
Old 08-28-2014, 09:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tulipaloozi
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

My cousin and I were discussing the situation in Ferguson and his view on it is "those people must've been doing something wrong to provoke the cops into doing that. Racism does not exist because I haven't dealt with it, and I'm of mixed race." I don't think I've ever been more disappointed in hearing a statement. Especially from a family member.

I pointed out a situation his dad went through when they last visited Idaho. We were in the country and were headed to a swimming spot we heard about. We got there and there were people already swimming there. They see us and see my uncle (who is Puerto Rican and has a darker skin tone) and said, "we don't want to share a swimming spot with an n-word" and left. My cousin's response was that wasn't racism, they were just uneducated fucks and he doesn't take their opinion seriously.

I don't see how someone who has witnessed racism first hand (probably on more than just one occasion) is able to declare it's not a problem in this country and we all should just stop talking about it.

Jon Stewart explained it the best I think.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alisonvingia...erage?s=mobile
(Offline)   Reply With Quote