View Single Post
Old 11-07-2014, 01:20 AM   #23 (permalink)
PsychoLoco
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

I voted yes for POTUS Keith, not because I vote (haven't since 2004), but because, well:

Chemda, I'm about to celebrate my 18th wedding anniversary, and I've never catcalled in my life. I've always met my past girlfriends and my wife through friends, school, or social events we were both invited to, so there was something in common already. I do have a 14-year-old son who is starting to contact girls and go out to the movies and normal teenage pre-dating stuff. I have two questions for you about how to advise my son.

How would you recommend a man approach a woman in public when she catches his attention?

I'll tell him not to catcall, obviously. I'll also tell him to knock off the smile for me or "It'll get better" bullshit for women who are upset. I also want to tell him never to make physical contact, like touching her forearm or shoulder to get her attention and then speaking to her. What I'd like to tell him is to approach and in a normal voice say, "Excuse me, but [insert compliment]."

Is there a better way to do this or is it just inherently creepy for a woman to be approached by a man on the street?