Thread: 66: Burlesque
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2014, 01:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Enunciated Piffle
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

I like this Rosebud. She strikes me as: smart, thoughtful, and interesting. I gotta say though. I've seen strippers and I've seen burlesque. I disagree with Rosebud that both are the same.

Strippers are people who take off their clothes in a dimly lit, gross feeling strip club that often has tacky fluorescent rope lights. The employees are gruff meathead bouncer dudes who treat you like shit. The drinks are super over-priced. There's desperation in the air. The music is atrocious. The stripper simply a person who takes their clothes off. It can be fun if your girlfriend goes with you, but otherwise it's full of awful groups of guys or worse: the creepy lone guy.

Maybe the difference is the crowd and the venue. Burlesque I've seen in a local hang bar and a theater. Both were full of equal amount men and women. The atmosphere was jovial and sexy without it being weird. It was a performance. Jokes were told between acts. Some sang. One played an accordion. There was even a local band at one point.

Both strippers and burlesque involves shedding clothing. But only Burlesuqe takes it beyond that. Far, far beyond.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote