View Single Post
Old 03-05-2015, 02:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
PsychoLoco
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

On the "I hate Jews" disambiguation, I've gotten into discussions with several people about this because I live in Ukraine, and they have internal passports that state their citizenship and nationality. I think these are poor translations, because you can be a Ukrainian/Russian/Belorussian/Georgian/Moldovan/etc. citizen and then have a nationality of Ukrainian/Russian/Belorussian/etc., but Jewish is an accepted nationality but Christian/Muslim is not. An example would be someone born in Russia that lives in Ukraine would be a Ukrainian citizen with Russian nationality.

I think they have confused nationality with ethnicity. If you put both words into translation software, nationality will appear as a noun and ethnicity will appear as an adjective, which is not necessarily the case in English.

I first had this Jewish nationality discussion in 1995 with a Kazakhstany exchange student in Texas who insisted that Jewish was a nationality, and I insisted there was no place in the world called Jewland that I could move to and attain Jewish nationality.

I then asked a U.S. diplomat I worked with in 1997, who was Jewish, about the distinction and he said that essentially there is no other religion in the world with such long-held and closely-related ties between ethnicity and nationalism as Judaism, so Jews do not get too politically correct when it comes to making a distinction between religion, ethnicity, and nationality.

If you want to be PC, then:
  • Jewish = a practitioner of Judaism from any country or ethnicity
  • Hebrew = ethnic Jew that can practice any or no religion at all
  • Israeli = citizen/national of the state of Israel that can practice any or no religion at all