View Single Post
Old 03-10-2015, 03:28 AM   #26 (permalink)
Rosa
47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Sandiego View Post
Rosa's comment that color only exists in our brain is not entirely accurate. The dress in the news article reflects specific wavelengths of light that can me measured with instrumentation. Each wavelength can be assigned a color name. Similarly you can use photoshop to just take a sample of the picture of the dress and this will give a numeric value corresponding to a color. So color can and does exist independent of our brain or experience of it. The confusion comes when our eyes lack the proper cone receptors to accurately interpret the wavelength. The reality is that that there are many wavelengths of light that we cannot see at all, not because they don't exist but because we lack the proper receptors to detect them. Examples would be infrared light or ultraviolet light. Though our eyes and brains cannot see these colors, our electronic devices can.
You're wrong. I'm sorry. Wavelengths are not colored. This is a common misconception. When I'm not so busy writing an academic research article about this fucking dress for a fancy peer-reviewed journal I will come back here and explain to you why.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote