View Single Post
Old 03-14-2015, 10:43 AM   #39 (permalink)
Rosa
47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotparker View Post

Check out these two black and blue dresses I found!

I thoroughly believe that the original circulated image is of a white and gold dress, and I have the science to justify it if anybody cares (probably not). I haven't heard anything outside of KATG about the dress maker specifically saying it's a black and blue dress, but if I had to guess I'd say the fact that only the black and blue version is still available for sale is the reason why.
I do love how everyone is so used to troll culture that people were legit paranoid that the whole internet was playing a joke on them. Even my first thought when I first saw the dress (which is almost always blue-black for me) was that huffpost had posted a fake poll saying that 73% of people see white gold, in an effort to stir up some internet drama or some shit. It wasn't until I saw it switch one time that I really got invested in figuring out how the fuck it worked. Now I can see both versions whenever I want (with the illusion I posted). it's really fucking satisfying.

As far as the actual dress goes (which is kind of irrelevant, since the special thing here is the weird ambiguous image whose unique properties will never translate to experience with the actual dress, but whatever)...

I heard they only started making the white and gold version after the image went viral. But maybe the most compelling story is about the shoppers... The picture was taken in the context of a mother-of-the-bride shopping for a dress to wear to her daughter's wedding... it would be rather uncouth for anyone but the bride to be wearing a white dress, no?

I also heard the dressmaker is legit crazy, but I did see a video of her showing off the dress and saying it was in fact blue and black.

robotparker, can you can see the black and blue percept in my demo? it's a pretty compelling illusion, but it doesn't work for everyone (you can start with the static images in my post, or jump straight to the vid): http://youtu.be/dquyFf3zCoM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotparker View Post

I have the science to justify it if anybody cares (probably not).
I care! tell me your science...

Last edited by Rosa; 03-14-2015 at 02:01 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote