View Single Post
Old 03-17-2015, 08:27 PM   #69 (permalink)
devohawk

Context, right. Keith didn't @ his Batman joke to the victims' families. Also, as a comedian, he gets some leniency. Comedians regularly offend, shock value is what brings out the laugh. Keith would offend me often if I took him seriously, but he's a comedian, these guys weren't. We listen to him for the shock and the subsequent funny.
The daughter: even though we've been 17, and thought we were adults at 17, we weren't. Studies that the show has cited saying that the brain doesn't fully develop until 25 are basically backed up by the fact that your (my) car insurance prices go down at the age of 25. She is still a teenage girl who shouldn't be threatened, whether they mean it or not, by adult men who have a beef against her father.
As adult men using the internet, they should know better than to be crude towards a minor. Once you hit send, it is not a thought, it affects someone. Especially when you @ them or their parents. When they lose their jobs their life isn't "ruined", they can still find jobs with employers who aren't offended, and if it's hard, maybe they learn to not be assholes who make crude, SHITTY jokes towards minors. Or anyone. If it was a "good" job, you have to behave to keep a good job. Yelling something rude at a game is not the same as putting it on the web. You can hope for some anonymity yelling in a stadium, not when you direct your thought and your name towards someone.

It was grown men bullying a child whom they've probably never even met, to get at her dad. They have been given a lesson in growing up.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote