Thread: 2180: IMHO
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2015, 02:52 AM   #73 (permalink)
Mattman
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfear View Post

So DO you agree that atheism is moral anarchy as they are missing the right basis for morality or don't you?
No I don't, but do I think that many religious teachers will look at how "the west" views religion and use that as an excuse for defending their position in extremist ways. Just look at the Charlie Hebdo attack, or the Fatwa on Salman Rushdie, years ago - most people will think these acts are ridiculous and totally inappropriate reaction to satire or analysis of the Islamic faith, but the Islamic world firmly believes that there are some things that are unacceptable and crossing the line brings retribution.

The "all religion is dumb" line will not only annoy those who like going to church, or temple, or mosque and love the feeling of belonging, but it will also give ammunition to these extremists to rally a more aggressive line of evangelism. It also contributes to the view that atheists lack moral fiber and therefore are lesser people - there is a wide-felt belief that all non-Muslims are inferior simply because they are non-Muslims. I have lived in Muslim countries for more than 10 years, and even as a western expat I was a second-class citizen because of my "ignorant religious ways".

I chose to join the Catholic church and I enjoy it. I am opposed to some of the teachings and I prefer to be guided by my own moral compass. I would tell people whom I think would benefit from membership to the church of how I think they would see a difference in their lives, but I would never force my beliefs down anyone's throat, neither do I think religion and laws should be aligned. The spread of Sharia'a law as a replacement for international common law, for example is a real step back in time and in many ways goes against the progress of mankind to a fairer society.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote