View Single Post
Old 06-04-2015, 03:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
John Harvey

The thing about Chet Haze got me thinking - is it cultural appropriation when hip-hop is sold as a product to people regardless of their ethnicity? Chet Haze is fucking clownshoes of course but all he's done is buy into a lifestyle that's been sold to him, from clothes to music to mannerisms of speech. Is it because he's rich that this isn't OK? because there are millions of poor white boys who grow up around hip hop and buy into the whole lifestyle. Chet probably has a bunch of black friends and he likely talks "black" with them. (as an aside, it's weird that talking black involves putting on a fake accent and talking like you never went to school, I think that's fucked up)

The world is telling him to check is privilege and he's like "naw nigga I ain't about dat life yo. I gots to be real, and if that means talking like a person of colour from the deep south then that's how it is". So I reckon stop persecuting the poor rich kid, he's a marketing victim like millions of other kids, black and white, and he can't help it.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote