View Single Post
Old 08-19-2015, 09:51 PM   #29 (permalink)
beerchick
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Definitely one of the most emotionally wrenching episodes I've ever listened to. It got me out of hiding and back in to the forums for the first time in a long time (excluding the few drunk tweets, texts and fb posts here and there). I've had more than one occasion where I've had black out sex - nothing like what happened to Wendi but it's scary to think of the occasions that could have happened. The scariest part about plain old black out sex (the non-rape kind) is that it's not really scary until you're back to sober again and, for me at least, realizing it's not something I wanted to do or would have done if I wasn't blacked out. I always blame and beat myself up for it - usually spend days or weeks hating myself for what I've done and promising myself it will never happen again, until it does.

I can completely understand Wendi's reasoning for keeping it anonymous - people don't want to believe that people they know are bad. So the friends and likely even the associates of the guys that raped her will side with them, of course, because they don't want to think they know people that would rape. The same reason people still want to defend Bill Cosby. So instead of those guys taking the heat, she would have to take the abuse of people calling her a liar and whore who deserved it and like Chemda said, it could even start to define who she is in her career.

She is an incredibly brave and lovely person and she's helping people by sharing her story. I'm very excited to listen to her stand-up. An amazing guest and I hope she comes back again.

PS - though I have a huge crush on both Chemda and Keith I most definitely side with Keith on the Straight Outta Compton argument. Don't make shit up.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote