View Single Post
Old 12-06-2015, 11:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Mattman
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfear View Post

But I think you said you are Catholic right? They use both Testaments as far as I know
Yes, I became a Catholic in my 30's. As part of my conversion, I had a lot of time to study the texts (my church in Hong Kong didn't just allow you to receive communion without Catechism) and discuss with theologians.

The Old Testament is still used, but the New Testament provides a lot of interpretation of these ancient stories, or fables. Jesus, as a Rabbi, used the Old Testament as a basis for his preaching, but was clearly trying to update peoples' understanding of the teachings.

These radical Christians typically rant OT slogans like "an eye for an eye" and ignore that the NT updates this attitude to "turn the other cheek". In Jesus's time the law allowed for this type of retribution based on Mosaic teachings. 2000 years ago Jesus tried to change this primitive thinking, and still now there are those who have not got the message.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote