View Single Post
Old 12-09-2015, 12:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
diluted

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstoriaGirl View Post
Also an atheist here, and as for Chemda being aggressive, I feel like nonbelievers are held to a much higher standard than believers in terms of "politeness". My religious friends get to post things like "All these other people live there lives like this, but I'm better cause I follow the bible, which is always correct and moral. Liek if you believe he died 4 U and R going to heaven" on facebook and no one bats an eye. But anytime one of my secular friends or I post something privately about the harmful commandments of the bible, like stoning or beating your wife, we're treated like assholes. Or, god forbid, anyone points out a contradiction in the book.
That's true, but you can't blame a rational believer who doesn't post stuff like that. Christians who do that are assholes no doubt about it, but we shouldn't stoop to their level. I mean if we looked we could find several instances of Atheists doing the same thing to a Christian who posts something as simple as, "Need prayers." or "Feeling blessed by God today." I've seen Atheists jump all over these posts belittling the Christian the same way the Christian belittles the Atheist. Just because some religious people are intolerant assholes, doesn't mean they all are. You should treat each person and their beliefs with respect until they give you a reason not to. Being super aggressive does more harm than good I feel.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote