Thread: 2415: Hancocky
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2016, 08:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mark Sandiego

Family Tree

This may have already been written, but Keith can pretty easily create his family tree by only knowing his parents last names and what part of the country they were from. Sign up for Ancestry and just do one month with the lowest priced package. He doesn't need to do the spit kit. The spit kit DNA mostly tells you what region of the world your ancesters were from. It does though allow you to meet second or third cousins who are on there. The real tree information is done by the software over the course of weeks as it keeps matching government documents to the names, places, and birthdates you eventually add.

It is just clicking yes or no to the items found and the tree basically builds itself. I did it all through the phone app when I had downtime. It takes a little getting used to but is a bit addicting for awhile and you get all the names and dates and the tree without knowing much of anything. Each document found tells you enough to make the correct links. It is still possible to make mistakes here and there, but you begin to find distant relatives who you can also share their trees with you to compare. I want to say all that is about $30 for the one month.

Last edited by Mark Sandiego; 07-03-2016 at 08:23 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote