View Single Post
Old 07-12-2016, 06:20 PM   #30 (permalink)
Tulipaloozi
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

While Alton's rap sheet may be available to the public, it is not in any way connected or relevant to his murder, in my opinion. Just like the gun they didn't see in his pocket until after he was killed, the officers also didn't conveniently have his past convictions pulled up before they murdered him. There are no connections between his past and his murder and they should not be presented as such.

Just like the rapist swimmer... His swim times don't (shouldn't) lessen the severity of his crimes. If he ended up murdering that woman, would they still try to push that sweet and innocent profile of him in the media to soften his image? Would his family members still write those glowing character letters about their baby boy if he was a murderer? Why does that kid's past clear him of his present crimes, yet Alton's past (that he did his time for) justifies his murder?

Look at how hard they're trying to find past criminal activity on Phil. They can't find anything that could paint him in a bad light, so they're resorting to creating false stories in order to somehow make his murder justified. What is the point of that? Even if he had a criminal past, he was legally carrying a firearm at the time he was killed. He was complying with the officer's orders, something that is constantly harped on and brought up every time innocent people of color are murdered, yet, he too was murdered.

The parents of the boy who recently fell into the gorilla enclosure had their past crimes/mugshots plastered all over the news after the accident, painting them as terrible and irresponsible people. What does their past have to do with the present accident at hand? However, the parents of the child who was killed by the alligator in Florida were shown more compassion/empathy by the public and media, and there was nothing about their past and/or crimes being brought up in the news. Why treat one accident differently than the other? Neither accidents were intentional or malicious, but society and the media treated both couples and situations vastly different.

I found this video and I think it explains the BLM movement very well. I'm absolutely no expert and I am in no way trying to be, but this message closely resembles the feeds of the activists I follow who fight for and speak out about these issues daily.

https://youtu.be/oUr3ZBeosx4
(Offline)   Reply With Quote