View Single Post
Old 08-07-2016, 03:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
MichaelApproved
Administrator
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr slug View Post
It seemed like Chemda and Elsa misinterpreted Michael's point as if Michael was suggesting that direct action shouldn't cause people to feel threatened in any way at all (ie their perceptions/mindset/way of life/income, etc) but of course that has to happen for any meaningful change to occur, and Michael never disagreed with that. He was just saying, don't make people worry about their own safety in the process because that's detrimental to your cause.
Thanks! Changing the status-que is scary and someone will be frightened whenever the system is changed. However, frightening someone shouldn't be an intended part of the process.

Quote:
Chemda's right, both direct action and legislative change are necessary and valuable. Elsa's right that getting up in people's faces does have a real, immediate impact and that's important, but Michael's also right that to ensure that the changes that are made become permanent, they have to be implemented through legislative change.
I would add that getting in people's faces is important. However, I would get into the face of those in power, not those I want to rally behind my cause.

I say that with the understanding that the term "getting in people's face" is aggressive in nature.

I would want to get in front of those that I want to rally behind my cause, not get in their faces.

Quote:
Michael offered excellent, articulate arguments but also made Elsa feel attacked and invalidated with some poorly chosen words and unnecessary insults. I suspect Elsa left frustrated, which is a shame because she was making interesting and important points too.
I'm curious which part you thought was insulting to Elsa. I would like to apologize to her, if I was insulting.

Quote:
All three people here are on the same side but got caught up arguing about the best way to achieve the changes they want made. Any change in the right direction is a good thing, as long as you don't make people concerned for their physical safety in the process.
Agreed.

Last edited by MichaelApproved; 08-07-2016 at 04:57 AM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote