Thread: 2593: Jailbird
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 06:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pintman
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Try as I might, I'm having a hard time feeling sympathetic:

(1) The cop doesn't have to say "you are under arrest." No magic words are necessary. If a reasonable person would believe that she's not free to leave, she is under arrest. So, you were under arrest as soon as you were cuffed, probably before that. And, if officers would have said at the start "You, Chemda, are under arrest", would it have changed anything that happened from that point on? Would you have reacted differently? From listening to the show, it sounds like the cops were right in wanting to keep you calm.

(2) Unless the police try to use your words against you at trial, they don't have to "read you your rights." This is a common misunderstanding. Since they saw you hop the turnstile, that's all they need to convict you. The police do not have to "read you your rights" every time they arrest somebody.

(3) You didn't get arrested and put in a cell for skating on the platform. You didn't get arrested and put in a cell for jumping the turnstile. You got arrested and put in a cell for blowing off a summons for 15 years. You had 15 years to pay that little fine, and you didn't. If you forgot about it, that's understandable, but that's still on you, no one else.

(4) Sorry, but I gotta be blunt: Every free ride for turnstile jumpers gets paid for by those of us who don't steal rides. Don't tell me a single stolen ride doesn't cost much. Don't tell me the MTA makes lots of money. Wrong is wrong.

(5) It doesn't matter if "the system" is also "wrong." Two wrongs don't make a right.

Time to run for cover . . .

Last edited by Pintman; 03-20-2017 at 07:22 AM. Reason: punctuation, clarity
(Offline)   Reply With Quote