Thread: 2593: Jailbird
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 01:31 PM   #42 (permalink)
jcro21

A similar shitty thing happened to a friend of mine in Brooklyn this summer. Last winter he got a ticket for drinking on a stoop (which he forgot to pay), and in August the cops rolled up on him drinking on another stoop and he went through the same thing Chemda described. Fucking sucks. The shittiest part for him was feeling like he had zero control over the situation, no one listens to you when you're in there, you don't know where you're going or really how long it will take.

Yeah, you can say "well you should've paid your ticket," fine. That doesn't mean any of this treatment is justified. The point of putting someone through jail for an unpaid ticket is to demonstrate the absolute control of the state, to show that if you don't toe the line and follow the rules, we can take you and hold you and there's nothing you can do about it.

Michael was frustrating because he's trying to rationalize a system that is inherently unjust. He's accepting the fact that people are fined and put away for all sorts of shit that doesn't matter, and being nitpicky about how we should best accomplish fining and putting people away. Anyway, I enjoyed him getting shouted down, it seems like lately he only calls in when y'all are discussing serious things and he feels the need to set the record straight or insert himself as the voice of reason or whatever. I just wanna hear some drunk Michael stories.

Was not expecting Keith to pick up the Bell Jar, but the rationale ("I like jars") makes sense. I hope you stick with it, I love love love that book.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote