Thread: 2658: The Onion
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2017, 10:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Mermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia View Post
I don't think that's the same.
When I, as a white woman, as the more privileged one would say I see no race or something like that, this would be ignorant. I would ignore racism and try to say everything is ok as it is.

But I am a woman, and also an outspoken feminist, because I believe in human rights for everyone.
I think I'm a human first, so maybe it's a good idea for women to have human rights and not being treated as toys.
I'm saying "Duh, yes, we all know you are human first. Everyone is human first. " now let's look into why you feel the need to make that distinction.

Why must you downplay your "women-ness" in order too be treated like a human?
Who are you trying to appeal to by proclaiming you are human?
Everyone's right are human rights.

There is a long history of oppressed groups trying to prove they are human. It doesn't work.

https://www.civilrightsmuseum.org/i-am-a-man

Black's were shot wearing three piece suits in efforts to prove they are human.

MLK towards the end of his life came to the conclusion that appealing to people's morals and sensibilities wasn't going to get blacks rights.

We call it "respectability politics".

This is why a lot of black feminist and black activist are annoyed with white allies. Some would rather reinvent the wheel thinking they are doing/saying something new and profound. Rather than listen to people who have been doing this for much longer and build on what has already been learned.

Men know you are human. They aren't dumb. They are just unwilling to give up their social status in order for true equality to happen.

Last edited by Mermaid; 06-23-2017 at 10:38 AM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote