View Single Post
Old 09-03-2017, 08:14 AM   #15 (permalink)
RichSPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by albi View Post
I'm getting a lot out of the AA and al-anon talk lately on the show...I've been thinking about going to CODA or al-anon for ages but am nervous about potential god-botherers, pressure from members to go every week (sponsor phones calls etc). Andrea's experience with getting texts is along the lines of what I don't want.
I went to one AA meeting a couple years ago. I'll probably go to more meetings at some point, but I went because I was living with someone with substance abuse problems then. She's out of my life and I have other problems now, so AA hasn't been a priority.

Anyway, I'm not 100% atheist, but I don't really like talking or even thinking about God. I'm comfortable being responsible for my own life. The religious aspect of AA always bothered me. People would say that it doesn't have to be about God; it can be any higher power I want. That doesn't help me. I don't deal with ANY higher power (aside from government or bosses).

I can get past that to go to meetings and see what AA has to offer me, but it still bothers me.

(Offline)   Reply With Quote