View Single Post
Old 09-03-2017, 09:04 AM   #16 (permalink)
The Girl
Chamsa! Chamsa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichSPK View Post
I went to one AA meeting a couple years ago. I'll probably go to more meetings at some point, but I went because I was living with someone with substance abuse problems then. She's out of my life and I have other problems now, so AA hasn't been a priority.

Anyway, I'm not 100% atheist, but I don't really like talking or even thinking about God. I'm comfortable being responsible for my own life. The religious aspect of AA always bothered me. People would say that it doesn't have to be about God; it can be any higher power I want. That doesn't help me. I don't deal with ANY higher power (aside from government or bosses).

I can get past that to go to meetings and see what AA has to offer me, but it still bothers me.

I'm an atheist. The god thing took me a while. I used "take what you want and leave the rest" for a while. Then I used the group as my higher power because what I took from there would help me make better decisions throughout the week.
Now, I think god is the universe. It is what it is. It's how I can stop myself from saying "why me". Whether in a good way or bad way.

I believe that we all have a thing that we were born to do. And every time we lie to ourselves about who that is, we go against "god".

So "let go and let god", to me, means letting go of trying to push a result. It means I do my work and trust the outcomes. And if it's not what I wanted to happen then I look at it and see what the next step is.

This is simple. But not easy. It's a muscle that I work out. And whenever I don't work out more chaos comes into my life.

PS sounds like al-Anon is your place when you write "but I went because I was living with someone with substance abuse problem".
Your qualifier does not have to be active in their disease for you to start or continue to go. You'd be working on yourself no matter where they are (or aren't) in their program.

Much love!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(Offline)   Reply With Quote