View Single Post
Old 10-23-2017, 06:54 PM   #21 (permalink)
Lanfear
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I maybe should mention that I was baptized Protestant which was supposedly my moms religion vs my dads catholic

But by the time I was born as the oldest kid my dad was in his late 20s and had grown out of his altar boy super catholic upbringing.
For whatever reason my parents decided to baptize all three kids, at least they went Protestant not catholic but I can not recall any church visits in my childhood - not even Easter or Christmas or discussions about religion at the dinner table. I imagine my mom wanted a party to show off her babies and a baptism did that. Or they just did it because everybody did it.

I sure know that was why I got the confirmation at 14, that’s what my friends did (also you got super cool gifts) and honestly Protestantism in Germany in the 90s was pretty ok. No abstinence only preaching, no anti-gay preaching, they provided lots of the youth entertainment and spaces to hang out in the village. I drank my first beer on a weekend retreat with the church. (don’t assume crazy things 16 is legal drinking age here.)

I still never actually believed in god and ‘formally’ left the church in my early 20s - because guess what: the German government collects taxes for Christian churches. Which seemed so normal to me but is actually fucked up - but hey you can opt out easily do there’s that.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote