View Single Post
Old 10-26-2017, 04:32 PM   #35 (permalink)
Lanfear
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligula View Post
Take a look at what you're saying Lanfear. The worst Jesus of the Gospels did was get weirdly angry at a tree and freak out at the money-changers (what probably would have actually got him dead if real.) He also failed to criticise social institutions which were ubiquitous and unavoidable at the time. The thrust of his message does genuinely appear to have been to love your enemies.

Mohammed had the hands and feet of his enemies cut off, blinded them with flame-heated nails and left them to die of thirst in front of everyone.

Jesus has the advantage of being mostly mythological and the most probable stuff is the good stuff. Mohammed is at the disadvantage of having lived the more chronicled life, but the highlights are pretty out-there.

Do you not think there's a bit of a false equivalency here?

P.S. The way I know that the sword is metaphorical is that Jesus never uses a sword. Also, literal swords aren't very good for dividing families and setting them against each other, like he says in the next sentence.

EDIT: Also Jesus, Mohammed, and Moses and were all Semitic. I probably wouldn't be able to distinguish them phenotypically.
Oh I know exactly what I am saying

I am pointing out that you are talking to me about the truth and value in the teachings of somebody you just called 'mythological' yourself

I'm very ok with my opinions right now
(Offline)   Reply With Quote