View Single Post
Old 10-26-2017, 05:12 PM   #42 (permalink)
Lanfear
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligula View Post
Deflect away then! Note that the position you ascribed me - which you will find difficult to justify as an interpretation of my posts - is totally ungermane.

We were comparing the moral philosophies of two historical/mythological figures.

I use the Pythagorean theorem a lot, but it is only of marginal interest to me whether Pythagoras actually existed. Certainly, he is a partially mythical figure. We ONLY know Socrates through Plato and Xenophon, and they're both obviously fake-newsing it up but the Socratic Dialogues are classics for a reason.

It's pretty easy to discuss the ideas of historical/mythological figures. In fact, when discussing pre-modern figures, it's largely unavoidable.

You can appreciate the Vedas, and the Buddha, and Jesus without believing in any of them. I'm not a fan of Mohammed but a lot of Islamic art is spot on, as are some of the spiritual techniques. The Suffis are great, but they had to get rid of most of Islam to get that way.

EDIT: Sorry Apia. I hate positioning myself as the forums Buzzkill. I empathise with JC, partially because I'm also a kook who won't keep his mouth shut when it's good for him. ;-D
Ok it's midnight and I am drinking some delicious Riesling but I don't understand most of what you just wrote there.

We were not discussing moral philosophies of two figures?

I quoted bible verses and then you said I should just get a grip and know better to ignore half of them and then I asked you about Jesus vs Moses vs Mohammed which are three people that you then promptly declared to be mythological.

And now you are bringing up a math theory that I would hope is proven beyond any reasonable doubt and has nothing to do with morals to tell me that I am deflecting from religion? I don't even know what's happening right now
(Offline)   Reply With Quote