Thread: 2744: Privilege
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2017, 12:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Scorpion
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia View Post
And the good thing about rural areas, land is cheap. You
Can grow your own vegetables. Especially if you don't have much money it's an option. Nor everyone works full time or 3 jobs.
From my polish time I know what kind of mushrooms you can eat not as drugs but for proteins. This was very useful knowledge.
Some of you have what I would call " rich country" privilege.
Poor people are in your opinion fat because if bad food. This is a step up from poor people starving because of NO food.
There is a term here in the US "Urban Desert" and Detroit is one (I live in a suburb of Detroit). There are no super markets in Detroit, the only way to get food 7 days a week is to buy it at a liqueur store, Bodega or as we call them here party stores. It's expensive and not a lot of healthy choices.
We have a farmers market in Detroit on Saturday all year round but what is at the market changes with the season. They have Tuesday and Sunday open only Jun-Sep. AH probably more than you need to know...
My point is getting healthy food to eat involves a using the bus system, our laughable elevated train or a lot of walking if you don't have a car. Now this is the Motor City so you might rightly imagine our public transit system is, lets just say, not the best. Lets just say we are not getting any awards for public transit here. ah again too much...
The point is there is nothing easy about eating healthy if you are poor and live it an urban desert. I don't know how you fix it, I don't know enough to talk about how it happened I'm sure there are not nice things. But I do recognize that eating healthy starts with having a choice and that is not only about money or education.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote