Thread: 2744: Privilege
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2017, 05:29 PM   #44 (permalink)
Mermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia View Post
Hardships. Funny.
So my experiences in my childhood are uninteresting because they don't show white privilege and I should shut up. I'm pretty sure most of you had nicer experiences .
As I said often I do great now and have no reason to complain.
Your Polish childhood is not relevant to a discussion on obesity and poverty/race in America.

Especially when you only bring it up to show that "Look! Things happened to me too! That means race is not connected to poverty!"

I'm sure it is a fascinating story.

I googled. Germany does not keep race statistics. But Google is full of anecdotal stories from brown and black immigrants facing discrimination. Poverty may indeed be connected to ethnicity/race in your country they just don't track it like the US. Ive read a lot of articles through the years from African and Caribbean people experiencing discrimination in Europe. When I was in London this past summer I met a Kenyan man who was upset because they do face discrimination but don't have the networks/communities/etc that African Americans have to do anything about it.

Europe is not a racial utopia. You just have to watch a few people throw bananas at black players in soccer games to see that. Sure... They'll throw a banana then go back and pay the one black girl at work the same as everyone else...

Last edited by Mermaid; 10-30-2017 at 05:32 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote