Thread: 2744: Privilege
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2017, 09:09 AM   #66 (permalink)
Scorpion
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia View Post
You want me to say " they can't do anything, the solution must be provided by the government"
And I say try to make the best of your situation, as far as possible. It's your body and it's worth it.
You are not lazy or stupid, try to improve what you can. Would it be better if you had a supermarket with fresh stuff in your city? Of course. But you can't do anything about it.
I think part of the problem here in the US is that people think they deserve things. 'What because I'm poor I don't deserve a Twinkie, I should buy carrot seeds instead and spend my free time farming for food." I know I have these kinds of thoughts from time to time (but from a much more privileged position). I know a few people who took money out of a retirement fund to by a TV. Being short sited is not a class or race division that's for sure. I'm not sure what my point is now except, that a culture of consumption leaves the poor feeling disenfranchised and helps keep them poor by promoting consumption of goods over healthy living and a fat savings account. This reinforces the poverty trap. Add expensive upper education that leaves people with massive debt, no guarantee of a career, and a culture that has promoted the need for university degree's and put down trade skills and hard work in a factory as low class. Add racism, bigotry, Jim Crow, redlining, systematic criminalization of minorities through anti-drug propaganda, things like the Tuskegee Syphilis Study and any number of other horrible policies and practices and it is not easy to resolve any problem here in the USA. Many people don't trust doctors and the medical community and will often mention the Tuskegee study. But I guess it's "Time to make America Great Again", so now we have to start all over.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote