Thread: 2744: Privilege
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2017, 06:58 AM   #111 (permalink)
Jameira
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Having a small garden of herbs and vegetables is a great idea. Not everyone has the knowledge and patience to wait months for a carrot and spend the time and money growing them. Water cost $ and you have to keep away pests and weeds. It sounds like a great idea but the pay off is longer term then someone who didn't eat yesterday is usually willing to consider. Also, here in Michigan this doesn't work all year round and come spring it has to be restarted. I know my mother had a garden but when she died I didn't have the knowledge or the willpower to restart it after winter.
I think you misunderstood my comment. It wasn’t a hypothetical idea. This ACTUALLY occurs in the hood in Connecticut. In the poverty stricken low-income neighborhoods I grew up in in CT. I in fact see one community garden everyday from my train headed into work. And it flourishes. NYC is a hop skip and a jump from me and I see them there too. I’ve seen a few in Harlem.

What is more sad is the assumption by many that low income people can’t do this. That they aren’t able. Luckily they didn’t consult with you all when they had the idea. You all would have given them more reasons why not versus whomever set them up with the land and empowered them to start and continue their gardens.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote