Thread: 2767: Pass/Fail
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2017, 10:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
bw81
Administrator
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

The Room is an experience. You need to go in ready to laugh, so watch it with a friend or two and try not to think that it was intended to be serious. You will end up watching it many times to dissect it, so don't sit there feeling sorry for everyone while watching it (looking at you, Chemda).

My brother and his girlfriend showed it to my wife and I about 3 months ago and I couldn't remember having more fun watching a movie in a long time. Shortly after that there just happened to be a screening of the movie at an independent cinema that had a heap of interaction from the audience. I won't go into everything you do while watching the movie (there's plastic spoon throwing at the screen, throwing of footballs...) but we went with a big group and had SUCH a good time.

The movie is over 14 years old now and is STILL being shown around the world. The creator may or may not realise how bad it is but he has already made his money back and regardless of whether his initial intent for the movie didn't hit its mark, how can he complain about having a cult movie?

The Disaster Artist is based on the book (also named The Disaster Artist) that Greg Sestero wrote about the making of The Room. Greg was and still is Tommy Wiseau's best friend (they are also best friends in The Room) and though I've not read the book, the movie The Disaster Artist was incredible. It doesn't sit there and make fun of The Room (it doesn't need to) but it shows a really sweet story about going for your dreams and doing it your way.

Because of the cult status of the movie and the success of the book they not only have a movie based on them being shown worldwide but they are also still making movies together. How could you feel bad about this?

Greg Sestero was doing a Q&A at the premiere I went to and he still loves to talk about the movie and talks to Tommy every day. For a role in the "worst of the worst movies ever made" to put you in Australia, talking to a packed house of fans who know your movie back to front... it's a big deal.

YOU NEED TO DO THIS AS THE NEXT MOVIE NIGHT - and it needs to be when you both watch it for the first time. Please. Do it for us.