View Single Post
Old 12-25-2017, 07:26 AM   #54 (permalink)
Sparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgrilledcheese View Post
"you still love me, right?"

I just want my grandma to not be disappointed in me

I feel guilty

I'm making everything awkward for everyone.
chances are, the answer to this first question is yes. they are legitimately afraid for your soul. that fear comes from love. they want to be with you in Heaven. isn't that nice?

as for the rest of it: give fewer fucks and don't engage in religious or political debates at the family gatherings; neither time nor place. yeah, after hours long debates about church /not/ going to church might look like you're making a point. don't bring it back up. welcome everyone home with a smile, talk about /anything/ else, and go about your Chrimbo. try not to get nettled, don't take any bait. if you need an easy conversation pivot, compliment the food or their hair and bring up a happy childhood memory, flattery and nostalgia are distracting and leave a lovely taste in their mouth, then walk out of the room on that high note. boom. disengaged and smellin' like roses.

shedding the guilt is a journey. take comfort there is no heaven and they won't know you're not there in the end. xoxo
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt_helen View Post
Laugh a little, chigger. The world is a fun place.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote