View Single Post
Old 02-15-2018, 09:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Mermaid

This conversation is interesting.

I get both sides.

There seems to be a lot of distrust of science because it is not perfect. Millions of children get vaccinated each year, a handful have allergic reactions (or have some other extremely rare condition that cause an adverse reaction). That handful gets the news stories and the blog articles about the dangers of vaccines. Suddenly everyone "knows" a kid who got a shot and xyz happened to them.

Or I see a Facebook meme where someone has used Google to freak themselves out over a chemical being in something without a basic understanding of chemistry. Stuff like "Did you know the NaCl that's in your table salt is also found in Bleach!"

But also, the Tuskegee experiment and unauthorized sterilization and James Marion Sims.

So I get it. People's concerns are valid.

But I also get how exhausting it could get to be bombarded with questions based on conspiracy theories and unsubstantiated claims and WebMD all day. And not being able to adequately explain why it's all wrong cause it would take at least a basic foundation in science to understand... But the education system...

This is reason #565785 why I prefer lab work to interacting with the public.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote