View Single Post
Old 02-19-2018, 09:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
astrokahn

Keith, I ONE MILLION BILLION PERCENT agree with you about the paying on a date thing. It's bullshit that dudes are expected to pay and no matter how nice it is to be the recipient of a paid for date, it's just not right to expect that going in.

Why not a cultural norm wherein we all expect the first date to be 50/50? So what if one person makes more money? (Because by Chemdas argument about the wage gap it would stand to reason that any woman who makes more should then be expected to pay, right?)

I have always followed this rule: if you accept a date, expect to pay for yourself. If the other person wants to pay, it's a nice gift. On a first date neither person is in a position to demand a gift from the other so it still being an expected cultural norm is fucking weird and (I think) lazy on the part of those expecting or demanding to be paid for.

We are adults, we know our own financial situations and we can speak up if something is out of our price range. Let's stop with this outdated garbage!

On that note, if you know you are never going to see this person again, don't accept the gift of being paid for, it's just rude and shitty.