Thread: 2809: Sup
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2018, 06:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
FingerLakes
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

on that topic, my old coworkers are ALL alcoholics, each of them, all in deep, and a few of them decided to do a "Dry January" and wanted me to be excited for them.

"Yeah man, we're totally fucking doing it! I mean we totally fucking cheated on [some date] because it was [some sports things] but, come on! that didn't count." Like I dunno...booze isn't my vice so it really doesn't seem like that big a thing to not drink for a while. But why do that and not go to AA or therapy? It seems like a pointless step after you've already accepted you have a problem bigger than you can handle.

But after typing that I remember something I heard from a friend who has called himself an alcoholic multiple times (each time when we're already drinking or about to drink). He recently started therapy and told me the shrink suggested he go to AA and that he wasn't going to because he "didn't need it."

I asked him what he thought AA was and he said "it's a place where you go and they make you skills or tricks to stop drinking." and fuck he couldn't have been more wrong. I explained what support groups like that one actually did and it blew his mind and he said he'd think about going and he wished the therapist explained it that way. Maybe one day Paul will hear whats its really like and not listen to those 4 randos who were shitty and holier than thou