View Single Post
Old 03-07-2018, 07:55 AM   #16 (permalink)
iamgrilledcheese
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer

On the subject of religion scaring (and scarring) kids: I went to Catholic school from the time I was 4 until I was 18. My parents never placed too much importance on religion and while they were Catholic, never attended church. I was sent to Catholic school because my mom worried about drugs and knives and guns in public NYC schools.

So I didn't get my paranoia about God and the devil and hell from my family. School though? Basically made me think everything I did was worthy of going to hell. I couldn't sleep at night as a kid because the shadows in my closet looked like the devil to me. I really thought these things were real. At the end of the year in elementary school, we'd sit and watch some animated Jesus adventures TV series for kids and we watched the episode about his crucifixion. That was some gruesome stuff and messed up to have kids watch. We were under 10 years old.

I still can't watch any horror movies about God and the devil. The Omen? Noped right out of that. No thank you. I'm an atheist mainly thanks to Catholic school.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
(Offline)   Reply With Quote