View Single Post
Old 03-07-2018, 08:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Archimedes_Screw

As an adoptive parent, thank you Chemda and Andrea. The form a prospective adoption fills out can be soul crushing. The list has behaviors or history that parents would accept or not. It includes things like AIDS, incest, and fire starting. For every 'no' I put down I realized that was a child who would be in the system longer or would age out.

We went with a private adoption for our youngest. She was our first. We got her at when she was 3 days old. We met her birth parents. They are incredible people and made such a difficult decision to give us Abby. I'm forever grateful for them. The day we took Abby we were with the birth parents. Everyone was crying. I had so much joy and so much sadness at the same time.

We got Katie, our oldest, when she was 4. It was through DHS. She had food hoarding issues because she wasn't fed as a baby. She still struggles with it bit it has abated for the most part. We never met her birth mom. She was 14 and couldn't meet her because she was a minor. I think Katie may have several siblings out there but who knows.

I can't imagine what it feels like to have a parent who gave me up or had the state take me away from my parents. I imagine that could create self destructive behaviors.

I just appreciate how you handled the subject. Aaaand I'm wrecked lol
(Offline)   Reply With Quote