View Single Post
Old 03-29-2018, 06:49 PM   #41 (permalink)
Furious Stylz
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer

Everyone keeps talking about the toothbrush. It's a nothing item. It's a throw-away. But the toothbrush itself is not the point. I think Keith would agree that a toothbrush is a nothing item in and of itself.

Keith's whole point (from what I'm hearing) is that there is a principle involved. At the beginning of a relationship there should be a mention of "I'm going to leave a toothbrush", because while the item is small and inconsequential, what leaving it represents is NOT small.

This is why Keith likens everyone's comments about the toothbrush to toasters, coats, furniture, keys, etc. Those things are irrelevant disposable, and by lumping them together, you show they are not the issue. Principles don't care about the dollar value, or how much space an item takes. Principles are blanket feelings and moral choices, and yeah, sometimes a toothbrush is the "thing" and the principle sounds silly IN THAT CONTEXT. But that's a fallacy. Principles are important, even if the example is irrelevant.

And "she" acknowledges this principle. How do we know that? Because when Keith said, "you know you did" (left a toothbrush), she smiled and acknowledged her empty ploy. She smiled because there's a principle involved and she gets it. (I'm listening to the show, and Chemda just made this point.) (And Keith, the fact that she gets it immediately is a huge plus; don't discount it.)

I voted for Keith because I see the principle of the issue. I think there is truth in Andrea's argument (as I understand it and generalize it), that maybe Keith's communication could have been better. But that doesn't overcome the principle involved IMHO.

--------------------
The problem is, they don't know what they are for.
They only know what they are against.
---------------------
(Offline)   Reply With Quote