View Single Post
Old 05-02-2018, 08:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
astrokahn

I just wanted to add this in case the person who was asking about support for quitting drinking is on the forms too:

It sounds like you're in that beginning stage of "should I quit drinking, do I have a problem? "In which case yeah you probably do because you're asking the question.

I found that the Reddit sub "Stop drinking" was the most effective community for me when I was trying to decide on quitting drinking. It was actually the thing that helped me define my own alcoholism because I didn't realize that the things that I was doing were common and classic alcoholic behaviors, like hiding bottles and lying about drinking. It's a very supportive group and you don't have to participate if you don't want to, sometimes just reading other people's experiences is really helpful and recognizing your own behavior.

Also, (and completely opposite of what I just said there lol) I think it's really important to not always gauge your own alcoholism in terms of what you think in alcoholic looks like. Or more importantly, what other people think an alcoholic looks like. One of the things that prevented me from quitting drinking for years and years is that I didn't behave the way that I believed alcoholics behaved. I drank consistently, every day for years, but since I never fell down drunk, I did not believe that I was an alcoholic, and when I try to talk to my friends or family about alcoholism, they insisted I did not have a problem. But waking up every night anxious and regretful, worrying about what I said or did the night before not because I blacked out but because I became so defiant when I was drinking, those things don't show up in the same way that people think in alcoholic looks like. Feeling like shit but not looking like shit doesn't show on the outside always. It's hard for others to see the alcoholism in how an immune system breaks down over time and gives you canker sores or side cramps or muscle fatigue.

Bottom line, if that voice keeps telling you you have a problem, listen to it.