View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 10:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
astrokahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Cock Rings View Post
The poverty level is a joke, I'll give you that. Average costs aren't a very good measure though.

Obviously if don't make the average, you don't live in the place that charges the average. You make the least, you live in the cheapest place. Is it a nice neighborhood? Probably not.
Even if you made $15 per hour and you’re a single parent you can basically forget being comfortable almost anywhere. (I’m lucky enough to have a job that pays for half my daughters healh insurance and I still pay over $200 a month for the other half.) Imagine on 7.25 an hour there aren’t any places in the US you could live without roommates. Well, maybe if you go to wherever bumfuck Keith grew up. Apparently there are 12 or 14 major cities you can *just barely* afford a one bedroom in, with a few grand leftover per year for like, life.

The response would typically be “ok then don’t live in or near a big city.”
Ok, what if you have family nearby and that’s your support system, what if you can’t do your particular job in a rural area, what if the noncustodial parent prevents you from leaving?

Unfortunately, single working moms Are twice as likely to fall into poverty than anyone else. I’m gonna go jump off a bridge now.