View Single Post
Old 09-14-2018, 04:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Amravanti

Can I just say about Roseanne that it literally doesn't matter if she meant to be racist. I think a show is in their rights to fire someone on their staff, about whom the entire show is hinged upon and is their most public figure, for calling people monkeys and attacking people on twitter. Not to mention the whackjob conspiracy theories.

I think Norm MacDonald's take is fine, just tone deaf. Aside from the part on Louis CK and Roseanne being 'victims' here. They did shitty things and their reputation's suffered. Roseanne should be crying, I'd cry too if I lost my job for doing some dumb shit, but that doesn't make it anyone else's fault. Same goes for Louie. I wouldn't want Louis serving me fries. What other profession is this okay in except for Entertainment? Louis never has to work again. He's rich. He's the lucky kind of harrasser who doesn't have to hide, too many people love him, doesn't have to suffer, he's stupid rich, all he's lost is his reputation as a decent man. Because he's not. Or he hasn't been. Whether he's learned from this whole thing, I have no idea. His apology is decent if I assume any of it is genuine. Maybe he is, good for him. I will never look at him the same again so I'm not interested. He's lost my trust. He'll be fine without it.

That said,#Me Too reached a fever pitch because the pendulum was swinging the other day after 2000 years of being in the favour of men. Believe (all) women was never a feasible long-term request, but it was shining a light on all the harassment and rape and suffering (of yes, varying levels) that women have been subject to. Generations of women. It was time for men to listen and be held accountable for the things they did in the shadows. But I think we always knew it'd balance itself out (and I think we're getting there), and it should.

But where were these guys 10-15 years ago when women were being raped and thousands of men escaped with no repercussions? I just can't take people seriously who only have a voice for men.

I would caution Chemda from saying that all men have a weapon in their pants, though. The way she frames it seems to blame men for being men. I've noticed she likes to say that men tell her not to go up to hotel rooms as if all men are saying that, and even still, caution is not the same as condemnation.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote