View Single Post
Old 10-07-2018, 03:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
DJ Trashy

I totally get Chemda's questions about unfair treatment. I was a bit puzzled at one point though. When she talked about Keith's casual drug use I thought for sure she was talking about the alcohol, but she only referred to Molly specifically. Maybe poppers, I don't remember. But it does bring up an interesting point.

The brain is an extremely complex bio-electrical organ. You can induce malfunction in many different ways. Any chemical imbalance which breaches the blood-brain barrier can introduce aberrations. Some reactions are well understood, but even then the reaction is slightly different for everyone. Sometimes an altered state is induced (like extra alertness, or hallucinations, paranoia, or unconsciousness) and sometimes an altered state is corrected (schizophrenia, depression, etc.). The fact is that there is always a slight risk when you introduce chemicals to the brain.

My own experience with salvia quickly dissuaded me from ever trying psychedelics again. It took much longer for me to also realize that in certain situations I lacked sufficient self-control for the consumption of high-alcohol content beverages. I'm happy with the occasional beer, but wouldn't be too sad if I never had another one. It's all chemical brain adjustment.

Maybe Chemda gets more flack because society normalizes recreational brain/mood alteration as a way to distract us from shitty jobs, crappy health care and bleak socio-economic status. In that sort of world, someone who takes drugs for enlightenment is an outlier.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote