View Single Post
Old 03-28-2019, 08:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Blitzgal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia View Post
Chemda, do you think that everyone who has kids is unhappy and is trying to trick you into having one? ( hysterical, historical...)

I think you might only see one side on this one and I always feel strange when you are starting this argument.

It’s not easy, but I love it, that’s my experience. Am I wrong for not be unhappy?
Should I try harder to be unhappy to fit the expectations?

And about the argument that marriages are breaking with kids. Marriages are breaking just fine without kids also.

I really think you take these comments way too personally. In this instance, she was clearly speaking about a very specific type of parent - the ones who insist to childfree people that they need to have kids, who keep pushing that line even after being told by the childfree person that they are very happy with their decision, and who make this exaggerated show of how they're doing the most important job in the world by having a kid. It's a very specific type of person. If that's not you, then she isn't talking about you.

These comments were made during a conversation about how people have these ingrained ideas about what "the perfect family" is, and how people who don't conform to that face moral outrage over it.