View Single Post
Old 04-02-2019, 01:22 PM   #20 (permalink)
g001dfinger
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia View Post
I was raised very Catholic and there is a lot wrong with that.
Maybe there is a church somewhere that isn’t bad, but most organized religions tend to turn not great.
I see a huge difference to AA and Al anon.
So they promise eternal life if you follow them and eternal hell if you don’t? Do they discriminate against gay or trans people? Do they say they are the only way to live? I don’t think so.
Exactly, you only know super fucked up Catholicism. Assuming you know your German history, then you should know that King Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor and Monarch of Germany, and Martin Luther, German priest and leader of the Protestant Reformation, had very different ideologies about Christianity and when Martin Luther posted the Ninety-Five Theses in 1517, he was excommunicated and condemned as an outlaw by the Holy Roman Emperor. Thus beginning the long divide between Catholics and Protestants.

I'm not saying Protestant churches can't be fucked up too. I just know the entire premise of Catholicism is way more what you're talking about (eternal damnation, hatred of gays, etc.). That's why it's called "Catholic Guilt", and not "Christian Guilt".

Evangelical christians, Catholics, Southern Baptists, are among the worst examples of Christianity. Lutheran Protestant, (or Buddhism, Confucianism, Taoism) are generally more accepting and look at the good in Christianity instead of how to use the Bible as a weapon.

I hate having to defend organized religion. But it's like the South Park episode where the different organizations of Science fight over who's science is better. People will always find ways to divide themselves and argue over dumb differences (skin color, flag color, how to say "Hello", whatever).

To channel my inner Ted Alexandro, try to figure out how to find commonality with people, instead of condemning them instantly for hearing something like they might talk to a pastor occasionally.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote