View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020, 12:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Enunciated Piffle
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Holy moly. Well that was exhausting/ entertaining/ off-putting/ interesting. I feel a hefty post coming after digesting all that crazy. I apologize in advance.

On one hand JFOD is funny. He proclaims all these great left-wing politics and his stories of recounting manic episodes are incredible. JFOD manic sounds like a hallucinogenic drug I wish existed. On the other hand I can't stand behavior from guys like JFOD.

You can't say you're a male feminist and then say ill shit about your female co-host. JFOD is so incredibly thin-skinned that any commentary from Andrea would result in vicious personal attacks. That's hard to listen to. Andrea was a great cohost/ producer. She clearly put a lot of work into the podcast and John seemed oblivious.

JFOD's narcissism is a problem.

It's almost impossible to listen to someone who is as smart as JFOD, not take good advice. This is especially so when a women is telling you to shorten up your long-winded dating profile. Andrea made great points. John wasn't hearing any of it. This example could apply to anything - I feel. John talks of something not working in his life. Someone starts telling him what he could do differently. He instantly dismisses/ changes subject. A narcissist always knows best. Ugh.

I'm a music fan. I could talk about music for ever. It's clear JFOD likes good music, but I could give a FUCK about how every song is about him. A couple song examples were insightful. It showed how it affected his mania. But every show ending with him putting these narcissistic talks about how he's God and singers and MC's alike are thinking about him, (having never met him) were ridiculously dumb. Music fans don't talk this way. I couldn't relate and hated it.

One positive from this show is I'm now an Andrea fan. I was only familiar with her ranting/ angry side. She was very patient with JFOD. Insightful, helpful, and funny. I downloaded Hot Mess Hour and started listening to her talk about a recent break up.

I hope the best for JFOD but feel his narcissism is more a hinderance than him becoming manic. There's a difference between having narcissistic traits and full blown Narcissistic Personality Disorder. As someone rooting for JFOD, I hope he discovers the difference. I especially liked episode two of this podcast. Him getting that Mental Health certificate and riffing on mining exploitation/ lithium was gold.

Every time someone interviews him they suggest he write a book about his manic episodes. They're what won me over as a fan years ago. Hope he starts taking advice and does it.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote