Thread: 6: Leaves
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2020, 12:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
littlp
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Geriatric social worker here-y’all already know he is full of shit but to provide some evidence

- Assisted living is usually the in-between place before Nursing homes. There are many senior communities with different levels of care with this in mind: Independent (usually a House/condo), assisted living (apartment with ala cart services) and then nursing home.

-assisted living places depending on city can range from $1500-4000 a month. Some include services in that price, others have the rent and services separate.
- assisted living is a great option for people who do not have a lot of medical needs yet but need to be reminded to take their medications and have someone check on them every day. ALFs usually have a fantastic social element with activities and outings available to keep people engaged.
- There typically isn’t any public funding/grants available to help with cost of ALF unless they qualify for a Medicaid waiver/get services through the VA.
- nursing homes can be up to $5k a month. They cover everything in that price-bathing, housekeeping, food, doctors appointments, medications etc. This is typically for people who are medically unable to take care of themselves at home and their medical needs cannot be addressed anywhere else. Also for people with severe dementia who wander/have significant behaviors.
- yes a lot of things shut down during COVID but as you said-he doesn’t have friends so it wouldn’t be an issue.
- depending on the state there are state programs that can help pay for nursing homes. Many states have a non-poverty standard which basically states that they can’t impoverish a spouse in order to cover nursing home costs. Medicaid Is usually what covers the costs. Medicaid is income dependent and would require him giving all kinds of financial information which I’m sure he will refuse to do. I fear that you guys are going to find a lot of financial surprises whenever he finally dies.
- quick google searches for both nursing homes and assisted living in Johnstown pulled several results. Amazing that he could find the dirty meaning behind 86 but not the super quick and easy search on the above for his wife.
- a doctor can determine if she lacks capacity to make decisions very easily. He can get guardianship after that-he would have to go through the court which would cost money. He’s probably thinking of Power or Attorney which is where she could have voluntarily signed a document stating that if she can’t make decisions then he can on her behalf. It sounds like her memory is too bad for her to be able to do that at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk