View Single Post
Old 10-19-2020, 04:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rune

Dylan has such an extremely smooth quality to his voice.

When you guys were talking about the lack of vowels in Hebrew, it really reminded me of Arabic (I lived in Egypt for a couple years). More and more Jews and Arabs seem like a pair of bickering cousins? There are a couple alphabetic vowels in Arabic, but most of their vowels are signified through swiggles and slashes above/underneath letters, and similarly those are only taught to children (but also in the Quran, where intonation is considered super important to preserve the text. They actually have contests on how well they can recite and intonate the Quran from memory, no joke).

Ex. قُلْ هُوَ لِلَّذِينَ آمَنُوا هُدًى وَشِفَاءٌ

Completely opposite that, modern written Somali (went through several writing scripts) is so vowel-heavy, attempting to read it feels like it’s deliberately trying to make you cross-eyed. I can say this because I have Somali in me.

Ex. You can see it in the lyrics to this traditional folk song.

I’m sure English has its problems. It’s hard for new English speakers, because its grammar rules and spelling is so confusing and lacks uniformity, but I think it’s a lot less complex as an overall language than most.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote