View Single Post
Old 02-21-2021, 04:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
amnesiac
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Cast Iron Pans: History’s Greatest Gift to Humanity

I love cast iron cooking but it took me years to get used to it. Years! I’m so glad for Keith embarking on this journey! It’s so satisfying to cook a tenderloin in a cast iron. Aren’t they also kind of, like, sexy? Like watching a dude cook over a fire with a cast iron, that’s sexy.

Anyway, some shortcuts to cast iron care in case it’s helpful:

1. It’s impossible to fuck up a cast iron. Wash with soap, leave soaking in water, these things will cause issues but nothing that can’t be fixed. That said, avoid doing those two things.

2. Chemda was right about burning off excess food. Could do it in the oven if you don’t want to smoke up your apartment too bad. But it does cause smoke and it’s easy but not necessary to get the thing clean.

3. My favourite way to clean is scraping. If it didn’t come with a scraper you can use anything. A butter knife, piece of plastic, dish scrubby. Scrape and wipe the bits off and that’s it! I usually use a black cloth to wipe it out too, but paper towel is fine.

4. I used to be paranoid about bacteria or whatever and use soap on my cast iron but not anymore. No soap necessary. Plus it takes away the “seasoning”, which is a dumb word for fats and oils that soak into the pan making it easier and tastier to cook with. No soap!

5. If it seems too dry, rub oil or bacon fat or something all over it more regularly. After you clean it rub oil on it.

6. Get a high quality tenderloin, a couple scallops, few Brussels sprouts, you got an easy, one-pan, fancy-fuck meal! Chef’s kiss.